Mary May House

frontBuildingThe Historic Mary May House, was designated a Kentucky Landmark by the Kentucky Heritage Commission.  It is one of the oldest buildings in Bardstown with the east portion of the building dating back to 1814.  It was the home of the Widow Mary Meredith May who was the niece of Governor Patrick Henry of Virginia and the daughter of Col. Samuel Meredith. It was lovingly restored, exposing much of the original architectural features that had been hidden through the years. Stop in and view the open beams made from hand-hewn logs, beautiful mantles, staircase and much more! The  Bourbon Bar is made from the original floor joists, 200-year-old pine and bourbon barrel staves.

 

Mary and David May married in Virginia and arrived in Kentucky around 1788. After David’s sudden death, Mary May and her 13 children moved to Bardstown. She eventually sold the home to one of her daughters, Lucy Betts May Jones and later deeded the house and lot to Lucy’s husband for “love and affection.”  Mary May spent the remainder of her life in Kentucky, living in Lexington, Harrodsburg, Louisville, and Elizabethtown.

 

buildingInSnow

 

History of the Mary May House:

  • 1789 – Lot 46 Transfers to Edmond Price for 12 Shillings (Deed Book 4-926)
  • 1798 – East ½ of lot 46 is sold by Conrad Throne to John Hume for 75 Pounds (Deed Book 7-354)
  • 1798 – John Hurst transfers to Joshua Wilson ½ of lot 46.
  • 1800 – Anthony Sanders acquired the west ½ of Lot 46 from Wm. McQuown and ½ east of lot 46 from Wilson.
  • 1814 – Mary May purchases the East side ½ of lot 46 from Anthony Sanders (Deed Book 11-27) for $550.
  • 1821 – Mary May sells property to her daughter Lucy Betts May Jones for $1,500.  (Deed Book 15-86)
  • 1822 – Lucy B. May Jones sells to James M. Brown part of the ½ left section of Lot 46, for $25 (Deed Book 15-202)
  • 1829 – Mary May transfers (for love and affection) a house and lot to her son-in-law Dr. Christopher Jones the West ½ of lot 46.  (Deed Book 18-150.)
  • 1847 – Christopher Jones sells House and Lot to Ludwell Abell for $1,000. (Deed Book 25-320)
  • 1847 – Ludwell L. Able sells to Peter Kamp (Deed Book 25-321)
  • 1847 – Ludwell L. Able sells to Ben Tucker about 3’ of land.  (Deed Book 25-324)
  • 1847-1954 STILL UNDER RESEARCH
    1954 – Dr. Carl F. Gobert & wife Glenna, from Ontario, Canada owned the home. Dr. Carl was the first small & large animal veterinarian in Nelson County from 1941-1981. He owned thoroughbred racehorses and was the vet for the Kentucky State Fair Horse Show for 2 years. He was very well respected and treated many racehorses at most Lexington Farms.
  • 1998 – Estate of Glenna Marie Gobert to Trudie Gobert and Donald Mattingly.  (Deed Book 350-9)
  • 2013 – The Mary May House, LLC purchased from Trudie Gobert and Donald Mattingly (Deed Book D493-268-270)

 

Back to Homepage

go back to the top